Visa Requirements

Q&A – Passports / Visa requirements to travel to Mexico

  1. If I have a Canadian passport, do I need a visa for my stay in Mexico? NO, Canadian passport holders do not need a visa to travel to Mexico.
  2. If I have a US passport or a valid U.S. visa, do I need a visa for my stay in Mexico? NO, US passport holders or holders or U.S. valid visas do not need a visa to travel to Mexico. For holders of a U.S. valid visa, roughly six months of a healthy bank account or a one year healthy bank account should be enough to prove economic solvency.
  3. If I have a Lebanese passport, do I need a visa for my stay in Mexico? YES, Lebanese passport holders do need a visa to travel to Mexico. Depending on if you are flying through the US or the EU, you will also need a transit visa. Note: that you may wish to get a U.S. valid visa with which you will not need a visa to travel to Mexico.
  4. What are the requirements and the procedure for Lebanese Citizens to travel to Mexico? All the information is located below next to the Mexican embassy seal. You may contact the Mexican Consul Mr. Paredes Frias directly for more information: [email protected]
  5. What is the price of a Visa to Mexico? The cost of the visa is 36 dollars
  6. How much time does it take to get a Mexico Visa Approved? Once the consulate interviews someone prior to appointment, it takes them around two days to decide upon the request, print the visa if approved and give back the passport. The Mexican embassy highly recommends you make your appointment two months before the travelling date.
  7. Is it possible to get a transit Visa to the US from the Mexican Embassy for ticket holders to Mexico? Only American authorities may issue transit visas to the U.S.
  8. As a Lebanese passport holder, do I need a visa to US if I simply have a Layover? YES, unlike most European airports, you will need a US Visa for Layovers! Our recommendation for Lebanese passport holders is to simply obtain a US Visa, and make your way to sunny Mexico.

us_embassyseal-300If you hold a Lebanese passport, you may get a US Visa to enter Mexico. It would actually be more practical to do so since most flights to San Jose del Cabo will go through either Dallas or Los Angeles. All information regarding Visas to the US can be found on their website:

To make it easier for you, here’s there info 🙂



We advise nonimmigrant visa applicants to keep checking the calendar for availability of earlier appointments.

Visa Information for Temporary Visitors

Non-immigrant visas are for international travelers (citizens of other countries) coming to the U.S. temporarily. This visa allows you to travel to a U.S. port of entry (airport, for example) and request permission of the Department of Homeland Security immigration inspector to enter the United States. A visa does not guarantee entry into the U.S.
Learn more.

The Consular Section provides full Non-immigrant Visa Services for Lebanese Citizens. Third-country nationals may apply for U.S. visas in Beirut.

The New Non-Immigrant Visa Application Procedure for all Non-immigrant Visa Categories

  1. Complete your DS-160 Online Visa Application.
  2. Visit and print a personalized bank deposit slip.
  3. Take your deposit slip to any Credit Libanais location to pay your visa application fee.
  4. Schedule an appointment for your visa interview online at or by phone through the Call Center at 01-964-659.
  5. Visit the U.S. Embassy on the date and time of your visa interview appointment.
  6. Applicants will need to bring with them to the interview their DS-160 confirmation page, the bank receipt, a photo,  passport, and any other necessary documents.  Failure to provide the necessary documents will delay the applicant’s interview process. 

Hours of Operation

The visa section of the Embassy conducts non-immigrant interviews, by appointment only, Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m., and from 13:00 p.m. to 14:30 p.m. No visa interviews are conducted on the last Friday of each month.

Required Documents for Passport Retrieval

Applicants issued visas can collect their passports and ask for information at the upper entrance of the Embassy, Monday through Friday from 3:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.  Passports will be returned to visa applicants themselves, their immediate relatives, or a representative.

Please note that there will be no passback services on December 20, 24 and 31, 2013 between 3 and 4PM.

If a representative is collecting your passport on your behalf – even in case of family members – the representative must present:

  1. Their own original government-issued photo ID for identification
  2. A photocopy of your government-issued photo ID
  3. A letter of authority, authorizing your representative to collect your passport. The letter of authority must contain the following information:
  4. Your representative’s full name as shown on their government-issued photo ID
  5. Your name

If the applicant is under the age of 14, the following documents are required:

  1. An original, signed letter of authority from either of the applicant’s parents
  2. A clear photocopy of the government-issued photo ID belonging to the parent who signed the applicant’s letter of authority
  3. The representative’s original government-issued photo ID

Note: In case of a group/family, a single letter of authority with the required information for each of the applicants will be accepted.

What if I already started the old application procedure?

There will be no changes in procedure for those non-immigrant visa applicants who have already made a non-immigrant visa appointment prior to August 16, even if the actual appointment schedule date is in the future.  Keep your appointment as planned.  Visit the U.S. Embassy on the date and time of your visa interview appointment.  Bring your Credit Libanais visa application fee receipt and your DS-160 confirmation page.

All other applicants should wait until the new appointment take effect on August 16, 2013 to contact the new Call Center or access the new website:

How to Reapply if Denied?

Applicants who are denied visas to the U.S. may reapply.  Starting August 16, 2013 use the new non-immigrant visa application procedures.  Applicants will have their case heard by another consular officer.  However, the applicant should be able to demonstrate changes in their personal situation that caused them to be denied in their earlier interview.

Who May Accompany Applicant to the Interview?

Applicants should, in almost all cases, come alone to their interviews.  Lebanese applicants above the age of 79 years do not need to come to the interview. These applicants may choose to send a representative in their stead, along with their visa application confirmation page, and one recent 5×5 cms full face white background photo. As appropriate, such applicants may want to include copies of their family extract, owned properties, bank account statements, and a letter detailing their purpose of travel. The visa section may, however, ask for more documentation or for a personal interview. Applicants must make sure to include accurate contact information on their visa application forms.

Applicants between the ages of 14 and 18 must come to the interview and may bring a parent with them.  Applicants under 14 years of age who have legal right to reside in Lebanon or are Lebanese citizens are exempt from coming to the interview.  Either of the parents may apply for the visa on behalf of the applicant.  Applicants under 14 who do not have Lebanese citizenship or permission to reside in Lebanon must come to the interview.  Applicants with serious medical problems may also choose to bring an escort with them.

Forgot to turn in your I-94?

If you forgot to turn in your I-94 when you departed the United States, please visit the following website for information on how to return it :


  1. All visa applications require appointment by telephone at 04-418 870 ext 112 & 103.
  2. Holders of a valid US visa, regardless of their nationality, do NOT need a visa to visit Mexico. The length of stay will be determined by the immigration authorities at the point of entry, on a case by case basis, but will not exceed 180 days.
  3. Permanent residents of the United States of America, Canada, United Kingdom, Japan and countries within the Schengen space do NOT need a visa to visit Mexico. The length of stay will be determined by the immigration authorities at the point of entry, on a case by case basis, but will not exceed 180 days. • All documents reviewed at the Consular Section must be presented in original form and copy.
  4. Documents in a different language than spanish must be officially translated to spanish by an official translator.
  5. Passports should be photocopied where picture and data appears, in some cases copies of different countries’ visas or exit/entry stamps may be required.
  6. Applicants are obligated to conduct themselves truthfully during the consular interview. Non-satisfactory interviews may cause denied visa applications.
  7. Applicants that submit modified, altered or false documents will be registered permanently in the national migration databases and will not be eligible to obtain a Mexican visa.
  8. Cohabitation is defined by Mexican Law as the relationship between a man and a woman who are not married and live together constantly and permanently during the lapse of time foreseen by the country in which they live in. If the cohabitants procreate a son or daughter together, cohabitation will be recognized regardless the time that the couple has been living together.


This type of visa should be applied for when planning on visiting Mexico for a period of less than 180 days.

2.1 General Requisites:

  1. Personal attendance at the Consular Section of the Embassy with prior appointment by telephone (04-418 870 ext. 112 & 103).
  2. Duly completed visa application.
  3. Original passport and a copy. In cases of non-Lebanese applicants, legal stay in the country must be proved (entry stamp on your passport and permit to stay).
  4. One recent passport size picture.
  5. Payment, according to Mexican law.

2.2 Specific requisites:

Applicants for visitor visas without permission to work (“tourist” visas) must prove either:

  1. Strong roots in the applicant’s origin or residing country,
  2. Economic solvency,
  3. Invitation of a public or private institution in Mexico
  4. Family relationship with a temporary or permanent resident, or a Mexican.

Supporting documents of the above situations are described below. For other type of Visitors’ Visas, please read section ”Other scenarios”

a. Strong roots in the applicant’s origin or residing country : Supporting documents are: Property titles and letter of employment stating position, salary and length of employment (at least one year); or property titles and being share holder or owner of a business running for at least two years.

b. Economic solvency: Supporting documents are:

  1. Original and copy of monthly bank account statement or investments for a period of six months or twelve months if applying for a long term visa, letter of employment, or proof of being a pensioner with sufficient income during six months or twelve when applying for a long term visa.
  2. When applying for a course that lasts less than 180 days, proof of enrollment in an academic institution within the National Education System must be presented.
  3. An employment, pension or scholarship certificate proving sufficient economic solvency must also be presented.
  4. Economic solvency may be proved with parents’ documentation if the applicant is underage and one of his parents holds a Mexican visitor visa without or with permission to work.

c. Letter of invitation:

  1. Public and private institutions may issue invitation letters; programmed activities for the applicant must not be remunerated. The letter shall include: name of the applicant and nationality, name of the inviting institution, registry number of the institution and its purpose, complete address and contact information of the institution, information about the programmed activities during the visit to Mexico (activities must be related to the inviting institution’s purpose), and lapse of time to carry on the programmed activities.
  2. The letter of invitation must be accompanied by an official identification of the person who signs the letter and by documents that prove that the applicant has the abilities, experience or knowledge required to carry on the programmed activities.
  3. If the letter does not express the commitment of paying travel expenses (airplane tickets, food, transport, lodging) during the visit and the commitment to guarantee the applicant’s exit from Mexico once the lapse of activities is over, the applicant must prove economic solvency as stated in section “Economic Solvency”.